Email | Phone | Web
Accessibility & web standards specialist
Team lead with an extensive engineering background, responsible for the technology & standards that used to develop accessible content and web applications.
Skilled at building strong relationships with senior leaders, collaborating across the organisation and using various techniques to facilitate innovation whilst focusing on the bigger picture with the confidence to engage constructively to challenge established approaches.
Expert level knowledge
- Accessibility & Assistive Technology (hardware and software)
- Frontend Architecture
- Technical Leadership (Agile)
- E-learning, Digital Publications & Reading Systems
- Continuous Integration & Automated testing
Fields of Research
- Accessibility and Assistive technologies
- On-line-learning Pedagogy
- Digital publication development
- W3C Micropub/Microsub/Microformats
HMH: The Learning Company
Technical Product Owner from March 2017
- Accessibility Subject Matter Expert
- Leading a multi-disciplinary team to develop and analyse solution design and agree detailed functional and technical specifications and plans.
- Building a deep understanding of the needs of internal and external users of the data products
- Detailed understanding of modern web development APIs
- Lead Engineer July 2015 to January 2017
- Contract Engineer April 2013 to July 2015
Director & Technical Principal 2011 - 2015
Responsibilities & Projects
- Running IT consultancy focusing on the publishing and ed-tech sectors. Leading a team of developers and designers to develop web and mobile learning apps and content delivery platform.
- Providing Instructional Design for online training, educational content and rulebooks for tabletop war-games.
- Business development, working with ed-tech clients in the UK, Ireland and USA. Working with Invest NI to become a finalist in the 2010 Propel Program and receiving the European Regional Development Fund R&D Grant.
- Development of AWS Cloudflare based PaaS Geiger for sale, entitlement and distribution of DRM free ebooks
- Deployment and management of G Suite of Education including configuration of SSO with Microsoft Azure based directory services.
Independent Christian Schools of Ulster
GCSE Digital Technology Teacher (Voluntary) 2016 - 2018
GCSE Mathematics Teacher 2009 - 2012
University of Ulster
IT User Services Officer 2005 - 2007
Student Software Engineer 2004 - 2005
Enable Ireland - 2017
Introduction to Assistive Technologies
The Makaton Charity - 2016
Makaton Foundation Level
Belfast Metropolitan College - 2007
Belfast Metropolitan College - 2006
British Sign Language Level 1
University of Ulster - 2001-2005
BSc Hons (DIS) Computing Science
Friends School Lisburn - 1994-2001
A-Level - Biology, Maths, AS-Level - Chemistry, Computer Science
Membership & Contributions
- W3C (2017 - ongoing)
- Publishing Working Group
- EPUB 3 Community Group
- Readium Foundation (2017 - ongoing)
- IDPF (2014 - 2017)
- Dublin Tech Summit - 2018
- EPUB Summit (Brussels) - 2017
- Spiel (Essen) - 2016
- EPUB Summit (Bordeaux) - 2016
- Spiel (Essen) - 2014
- BETT (London) - 2013
- Apple WWDC (San Francisco) - 2012
- Build (Belfast) - 2010, 2011
- Producer at CATNA (Craigavon Talking Newspaper Association)
- Technical Advisor at Grace Community Church NI
As a former teacher Andrew’s experience has seen him working as a consultant for several startups and outside of work gives seminars on the importance of inclusion, web standards, accessibility and ebook development and is even known to blog about it (occasionally).
Andrew is co-creator and producer of the Ordinary People Podcast and loves strategy wargames, retro video games, good coffee and building Lego with his wife and kids.